Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crayton's Story...Part 2

Chapter 5-Things Go Downhill...

I love this picture.   This was the only time I got
to hold Crayton on the day he was born.  I couldn't
even keep my eyes open or lift my head to see
his beautiful face!

As I mentioned, I was feeling fine for a little bit after the c-section.  I can remember most things that went on in the operating room, which means I was still doing pretty good.  But, by the time I was moved to the recovery room, my blood pressure had dropped significantly and I was having a hard time keeping my oxygen levels up.  I had lost a lot of blood during the surgery, which since my counts were already so low going in, ended up not be a good thing!  In the recovery room, they tried handing me Crayton a couple of times.  Each time, my blood pressure would drop and I would get really dizzy and feel like I was going to pass out.  After a couple of unsuccessful tries of me holding Crayton, they finally sent him and Jay on to the nursery.  Back in the recovery room, the tried many things to make me feel better;  they tried changing my lying position, how much oxygen I was getting, etc.  Nothing seemed to work.  I could feel myself getting weaker and weaker.  I don't remember much of anything after the recovery room.  I was starting to become pretty out of it.  I was exhausted, but to scared to fall asleep.   Every time  I started to fall asleep, it felt like I wouldn't wake up...my breathing would become so shallow that it felt like I was drifting away (that's the best I can describe it).  When I finally got to go to my room, family and friends were allowed to come and visit.  As the day went on, the worse I began to feel.  The doctor's were hoping that my body would "perk" itself back up, but as the day wore on, it was starting to look as if I would have to have a blood transfusion.   Sometime in the early evening, the nurses finally made my family and friends leave.   They took Crayton to the nursery, where he had to stay throughout the night (I was still unable to hold him...which is hard for a new mom!)  Around ten o'clock, they finally decided that my body wasn't going to recuperate on it's own, and that I was going to need a transfusion.  At this point, I didn't care...I just wanted to feel better!!! I still hadn't fully fallen asleep because of the fear I wouldn't wake up; I felt horrible, I was tired and I wanted to HOLD MY BABY!  So finally, around 10:30 my blood transfusion started.  Throughout the night, they would come in and hook up more blood to me.  I was constantly being monitored and continually had people in and out of the room.  Around 4:30 am, the transfusion was FINALLY finished and I was already starting to feel better.  I finally fell asleep and was able to sleep off and on for the rest of the night.  By the next morning, I was extremely ready to see my baby boy.  I hadn't held him since early in the previous day, and I couldn't even picture what he looked like in my head...

I also like this picture.  This is my daddy feeding me,
because I was too weak to do it myself.   Daddy's will
take care of their babies no matter how old they are.

Some pictures of me during the blood transfusion.  I was still hooked up to oxygen to get my levels
regulated.   You can see the blood in the IV sacks.

1 comment:

Leah (Galloway) Flores said...

Souds like your delivery was scary. Glad all is well. Congrats on a baby boy! I have two older girls and a baby boy too, and coach! Fun, busy life!