Saturday, October 06, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!

 October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  October is now one of my favorite months, because of the heightened awareness during this month.  I love seeing the pink all around!!  I know this is just one of many terrible diseases and special causes that needs special recognition, but this one is very close to my heart.  I lost a grandmother to breast cancer, and it has affected many special people in my life, so I will always do what I can to help find a cure for this horrible disease.

This weekend, I hosted the 4th Annual Bulldogs for the Cure.  For the last four years, Everman has taken one day in October, and has participated in a district wide breast cancer awareness day.  T-shirts are sold to raise money for the Susan G. Komen foundation, pink is splashed around the district, and the Lady Bulldog volleyball team and the Bulldog football team participate in a pink out game.  It is easily my FAVORITE school day each year.  I love seeing the t-shirts and all the pink at EVERY.SINGLE.SCHOOL!  This year, I sold 1,371 t-shirts.  WOW!  I am so honored to work in a school district that is so giving and supportive.   The last two years, I have incorporated a Bulldogs Race for the Cure 5K.  Today, 42 participants, 11 mini-participants, and 1 four-legged friend braved the COLD and strong winds to walk/run the 5K.  Between the t-shirts and the 5K, Everman ISD will be donating almost $8000 to the Susan G. Komen foundation.  That is a huge and exciting accomplishment for a little district.  We might be a "little" district, but we have a "HUGE" goal...to help find a cure!! 




In November, I will walk in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day.  This will be my fourth year to walk.  I am part of Team Sporting Pink.  This team is a group of some of my very favorite ladies (my mom-Nancy, my mom-Cheryl, my aunt-Nicole, and soon to be sister-in-law, Bailee).  Hopefully, we will continue adding family members and friends to our team (hint, hint ladies).  This year, not all of us will be walking, but we will forever be team Sporting Pink!   We also always have the BEST WALKER STALKERS EVER (that consists of all the family not participating)!! The walk would not be possible without our traveling fan section. No words can explain the 3-Day walk.  It is one of the most emotional and rewarding experiences I have ever been apart of.  If you would like to read more about the 3-day or give a donation to our team click here.  

3 DAY: 2009




3 DAY: 2010




3 DAY: 2011








TEAM SPORTING PINK!!

"I walk for Granny (whose life was cut short), for those who are currently battling this disease, and for MY LITTLE GIRLS, so that the only pink ribbon they ever have to wear are the ones in their hair!"  

**I have been challenged by sweet Bailee to wear pink everyday this month.  I know it is something small, and insignificant, but I will be wearing pink in honor of those whose lives have forever been changed by this terrible, terrible disease!  At the end of each week, I will post pictures of the pink that was worn. (I wore a Bulldogs for the Cure shirt everyday this week, but didn't think to take a picture)  Who is with me?!?!  How fun would it be to see PINK take over!!  

2 comments:

Bailee said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!

Linda Fox said...

I certainly feel your passion and dedication for this cause! Two thumbs up for you and for all the women who are doing their part and spreading the love and message about breast cancer. And although it is a small gesture, it can spark hope to those who are suffering from this disease. By simply wearing the t-shirt, you are already doing something to help relay the message.